You can upload lots of different media types to the Rainmaker platform to embed into your course and membership content, such as images, PDF’s and video. If your content is going to be video rich, you may want to consider optimizing your videos so you are conserving the storage space of your site and making the streaming experience easy for your customers.
In this tutorial I am going to show you how to reduce the file size of your videos, without affecting the quality of the video, using a free application that is easy to use.
Video Instructions – click play below
To optimize your videos for Rainmaker, we are going to be using a free application called ‘Handbrake‘. I will take you through how to configure the application with specific settings to reduce the size, but not the quality of your video files. Once the video is optimize, we will upload the video to our Rainmaker site and use the video shortcode to embed the video into a post.
Follow the text instructions below.
1. Once you have the ‘Handbrake’ application installed on your computer, open the application.
Click on the ‘Source’ icon and choose the video file to optimize.
2. Click on the ‘Video’ tab.
- Set the ‘format’ to ‘MP4’
- Check the box beside ‘Web Optimized’
- Select ‘H.264’ in the ‘Video Codec’
- Select ‘29.97 (NTSC Video)’ in the Framerate drop down.
- Check the box beside ‘Use Advanced Options Panel’
- Set the Constant Quality to 20 – 22
3. Click on the ‘Audio’ tab.
- Select ‘128’ as the bitrate. Leave the other settings as they are.
4. Click on the ‘Advanced’ tab
- Set the ‘Reference Frames’ to 2
- Select 0 from the ‘Maximum B-Frames’
- Choose ‘Uneven Multi-Hexagon’ from the ‘Motion Estimation Method’ drop down
- Select ‘6: In RD I/P-Frames’ in the ‘Subpixel ME & Mode Decision’
- Leave the other settings as they are
5. Click the green ‘Start’ button and wait for the process to complete. Depending on how large the video file size is, it may take a few minutes or a bit longer.
6. Once the conversion is complete, check the size of the file to make sure the size has been decreased. To upload the video to Rainmaker, go to ‘Content’ –> ‘Media’ –> ‘Add New’, and drag the video into the box provided. Once uploaded, click the ‘Edit’ link and copy the ‘File URL’ field.
7. In your post/page content, use the video shortcode to embed the video. Add the ‘src’ parameter to the shortcode and paste in the File URL.
And that is it!